Instagram

Uncategorized

The Forbidden Fruit: Why You Shouldn’t Pursue People In Relationships

July 30, 2017

So in a few of my more “advice” type posts, I’ve skated across the idea that you shouldn’t pursue people in relationships. These things are easier said than done however, so to show you why, I thought I’d share a story from my own dating life.

The story started on my 22nd birthday. I was on my gap year, volunteer teaching in Tanzania, and to celebrate myself and the other volunteers were going to an expat bar then to a nightclub in town. Unfortunately, my birthday happened to fall in the month where previous volunteers had gone home, and new volunteers were yet to arrive, so I was celebrating with two girls who don’t drink. Halfway through our uneventful time at the bar, they informed me that they didn’t want to go to a nightclub, so we were just going to stay here for a bit then go home.

why you shouldn't pursue people in relationships

Luckily, we were out with a Tanzanian guy called John who we’d met through our volunteer co-ordinator. John was going to the club, and suggested I join him. As I got hopped into a taxi and the other girls departed, my spirits lifted. I’d been badly let down, but it was my birthday, and the night was young.

As John and I danced in the nightclub, something shifted. We’d always got on, but tonight the elusive spark appeared. We head over the seats on the edge and started kissing. I’ve kissed a few people here and there since, but it’s been more of a peck, going through the motions. With John it was passionate, I just wanted to keep kissing him and even years later I could remember that kiss in vivid detail.

Just one tiny snag. John had a girlfriend. But she lived in Holland and neither had any plans to move to the other, so it was basically not a relationship.

About a year later, when I was back in the UK, he added me on Facebook. He started talking to me on messenger, and we quickly switched over to WhatsApp. I’d been on a bunch of dates from Plenty of Fish, and they’d be nice, but there was no spark, no flirting. It was just like hanging out with a friend but the conversation wasn’t as good. But with John, the sexual chemistry was so strong it zinged through the room. In conversation, I linked him to this article I’d written about being a virgin. I thought he’d respond with something negative, but he seemed to find it a turn-on, and told me he “wants a woman who respects herself”. Living in the promiscuous hellhole that is the UK, I’d forgotten that in most of the world sex is valued.

The following year, I was preparing to go back to Tanzania that summer to climb Kilimanjaro for charity. Against my better judgement, I messaged John and asked for hostel recommendations. We immediately fell into conversation again, and the spark was as strong as ever. There was chemistry, but there was also a connection. We were on the same wavelength, we liked all the same things, we had the same values. He told me his girlfriend doesn’t like Tanzania, and won’t come and visit him, he always goes to her. I sensed a potential opportunity. Over the next 5 months or so, we talked almost every day.

I was really strongly attracted to him. There was a strong sexual spark, and I fantasised about him, but I didn’t want to do anything with him while he was still with his girlfriend. But maybe we could kiss, and cuddle. He said I could stay over at his house if I wanted to, but I told him I didn’t want to “tease” him by going back and not doing anything. He said he’d be happy with that, and some guys would get angry, but he wouldn’t. I was so excited to see him. I had strong feelings for him, and envisioned him seeing sense, breaking up with his girlfriend, and we could start a new life together away from the dull, grey UK in beautiful Tanzania. Even if nothing more happened though, it would at least be nice to have someone to cuddle for the intimacy of a relationship that I was sorely missing.

When the day finally came and I saw him in Tanzania it was really awkward at first. Later on, the conversation flowed better, but somehow it wasn’t quite the same. I think I’d built it up in my mind too much.

But anyhow, we went out to that same nightclub later on in the week. We had pre-drinks at the hotel I was staying at beforehand, and had a good night out dancing. He asked if he could stay over at mine so he could use the shower (his house doesn’t have any running water), and I said that was fine but nothing was going to happen. However, when we got back there, he tried to push me into doing stuff with him, then got into a mood when I said no, and informed me he didn’t want to be with someone who’s “like a log”.

On my last night there, we hung out again at a bar. After a few drinks, we started talking about what was going to happen when I left, and he dropped a bomb out of nowhere. He told me that if he was going to leave his girlfriend for me, he would have to sleep with me first. He then launched into this tirade about how he wouldn’t commit to a woman he hasn’t slept with, how he wouldn’t wait a while before sex, how “men like experienced women” and how I was never going to meet anyone else. The argument lasted all evening, if it was anyone else I’d have cut them off, but I didn’t wait my memories of the trip to be ruined so eventually I smoothed things over.

When I got back home, I tried to remain friends with John initially, but he kept being really nasty and snappy with me. He told me he doesn’t want me, and he wouldn’t be interested in me even if he was single. He also acted like I’d somehow wronged him by not having sex with him, saying things like “WHY did you not want to proceed?”, “I was so excited about seeing you, and seeing what would happen- all that, and then NOTHING!”, accusing me of not having any sexual feelings, and being “like a dead log”. I eventually got tired of him, and stopped bothering.

John is still with his girlfriend, but the location issue doesn’t seem to have been solved.

So there you have it. I thought I’d found someone who liked me for who I am, and if only he was single we could be together… when the reality was he just wanted to have sex with me and wouldn’t be interested in me even if he was single. It’s easy to fall into the fantasy, but really, you have to look at the reality and find someone who’s free to be fully yours.

Kayleigh Zara
    July 30, 2017 at 7:12 pm

This was a really interesting post, I love reading about relationships, it’s awful that he was in a relationship though – he clearly wouldn’t have left it x

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

Alice
      July 30, 2017 at 8:16 pm

I know, but I think you always hold onto hope.

Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty)
    July 30, 2017 at 7:14 pm

I completely and totally relate to this post. I have been in the same kind of situation when I was living in New Zealand. The guy was single but still didn’t really care. It was just about sex while I kinda liked him. But well, lesson learnt I guess xx corinne

Alice
      July 30, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Yes that’s true, imbalance of feelings can happen at any time.

palegirlrambling
    July 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm

What a story!!
    I to was involved with someone who was in a relationship and it was definitely a lot more hyped up in my head like you. Unlike you though I slept with him in a hope he’d see I was better than the girlfriend.. he proceeded to sleep with me for over 3 years and never left her.. it honestly not worth it!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

Alice
      July 30, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Oh no what a nightmare! He sounds like a prick.

abbeylouisarose
    July 30, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Oh my goodness, this guy sounds like a real arsehole! I can’t believe he tried to push you into doing things you weren’t comfortable with, that’s no way to treat anyone!! I pity his poor girlfriend! I’m glad you’re no longer speaking to him!

Abbey 👑 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

Alice
      July 30, 2017 at 7:33 pm

His girlfriend has cheated on him too, but agreed they would be better off apart.

andthenzen
    July 30, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Oh my god, it sounds like you can do so much better! I dated a guy for a quite few weeks, and we eventually slept together, then the following day he completely ghosted me.. After a couple of days, he unblocked me on WhatsApp to tell me that his best girl friend had revealed that she was in love with him, and they had decided to start seeing each other, but that he wanted to continuing dating me as there was more of a spark between us than him and her.. He said that he hoped that if we continued to see each other, his feelings would grow stronger for me, and he would leave her for me! I ran for the hills as quickly as possible, although he still messages me when he’s deployed with the Air Force.. 🙄

Andi | http://www.andthenzen.wordpress.com

Alice
      July 30, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Wow what a prick! I can’t believe he was willing to do that to both you and his supposed “best friend”. Good for you for ditching him early!

Lucygoesdating
    July 30, 2017 at 9:20 pm

It’s really hard when you meet someone you have that great chemistry with and they’re already taken. But I think maybe you feel it more because they are ‘forbidden fruit’. All you can do is back off and move on. If they really like you, they will come to you in the end.

Alice
      July 31, 2017 at 7:33 pm

That’s so true, I think the fruit may appear more appealing when it’s forbidden.

L. Rorschach
    July 30, 2017 at 11:57 pm

I can’t believe he used that line on you. Did he think you were born yesterday?!

Alice
      July 31, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Haha, which line are you referring to?

L. Rorschach
        July 31, 2017 at 8:24 pm

The “I can’t make a decision about my relationship unless I have sex with you.” 😂😂 That’s unreal!

Alice
          July 31, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Haha, I’ve heard the same thing being echoed elsewhere so I thought it was just a sign of the times!

• L. Rorschach
            July 31, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Really?? I have honestly never heard that before!

El
    August 1, 2017 at 4:28 pm

A guy that thought he would show to be ‘nice’ at first to seep with you. Its good that you didn’t proceed with him, I think he would stay with the gf regardless because it is comfortable.
    Looks like there are many girls with similar experiences.

Alice
      August 3, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Yeah I think he would have stayed with her anyway, he just got in a mood because he didn’t get what he wanted.

foreverbookblog
    August 5, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Damn this was a good post , I love posts like these 💕💕

Alice
      August 5, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Thank you!

Love Bombing – Alice In Wonderlust | UK Dating Blog
    August 27, 2017 at 5:35 pm

[…] at which point he promptly got bored and ditched me. (Side note- the next guy I had a thing with got angry with me because I didn’t want to get sexual with him, so I guess you can’t […]

No Ghosting: Why Bad Behaviour In Dating Is Not OK – Alice In Wonderlust | UK Dating Blog
    October 5, 2017 at 7:30 pm

[…] would want a relationship with a girl like THAT? But if you didn’t sleep with him, they might throw a strop, and then apparently that’s your fault too, because, well, no in-demand guy is going to […]

Hindsight & Life Lessons – Alice In Wonderlust | UK Dating Blog
    October 8, 2017 at 5:47 pm

[…] You can find out how this situation actually worked out here. […]